Sunday, May 30, 2010

Education is of essence:)

Tomorrow..


it's the first day of my first pastry-related education course. Okay, so it's a little bit short-term and consists of a very specific subject. Yet, 32 hours of sugarpaste decorating, i suppose, would be a whole lot of information, wouldn't it? I will be posting my comments on whether or not it was a money-well-spent situation by next week..

Anyways...


What else has happened? Thanks to my cousin's links, i've met an enterpreneur more than a week ago. I've decided to call him that, because he started several successful restaurant businesses - of those Kort Pizza is his current work- after managing some of the great restaurants in New York City. First of all, some visualization. He talk so fast, and his hands, arms and head moves even faster. It's like an Italian man on speed. It is a way, i guess, he uses to bedazzle you. And after trying to follow him for a while, you just wanna grab his shoulders and say: Chill! Take a breath! Mercyyy:). Ofcourse, i couldn't do that, so i've shut down my sense of vision, and started to JUST listen. He is so rich with information. It was enchanting, but also a bit overwhelming. His offers, too. Anyways, he gave me the number of his pastry baker. Coco, of Rococo Cakes. Said, she could teach you part-time and you would also work for me part-time.
Learning that she is the best ever in Istanbul according to this succesfull restaurant-owner, i've dialed the number immediately. She was out of town, i was busy, she then was busy. And just when i gave up hope, she called me and we met up.

And guess what? She is only a year older than me, has just graduated from Whirlpool MSA ( the school i will be attending by september) last year from the exact programme i will be attending. Her actual college education is on fashion design. She's been working from home after MSA, and then opened up her office about 2 months ago. I guess i know what you're thinking.. How, ever, could she be the best in Istanbul if she's only in the business for 2 years. And, obviously, she told me that she is still in the learning process so she does not trust that she can take a teaching role. Anyways, our conversation goes on and on, and we find out what? We're actually attending the same course starting tomorrow:)


I sure was expecting someone closing up to her forties, with a huge search result on google and a long-lasting work history. But met a sweet girl only a year older than me. Did not meet my future-mentor, but got a confidence boost by seeing a similar path getting such great compliments...



Sleep tight;)

No comments:

Post a Comment